History

Lokschuppen Exhibition Centre

year event
1851 In an international treaty, Bavaria and Austria agreed to lay a new railway line from Munich to Salzburg and Innsbruck, running through Rosenheim.
1857 King Max II gave his permission for a railway station complex to be built in Rosenheim. The line between Munich and Rosenheim was already ready for use.
1858 The train station in Rosenheim was inaugurated.
1860 The first test ride from Rosenheim to Salzburg was carried out. The train station complex was expanded for the first time.
1872 It was requested that the railway station will be moved.
1876 The official opening of the new railway station (at its current location) took place.
1878 The town of Rosenheim bought the old railway station complex. The station building has been used as the town hall since then. The Lokschuppen (which means engine shed) was used as a warehouse for the town authorities.
1884 A single storey connecting building was added between the end buildings of the Lokschuppen and was used as a warehouse for the town authorities.
1898 Part of the warehouse burnt down. The buildings were rebuilt and extended.
1921 The warehouse in the Lokschuppen caught fire again.
1922 When it was rebuilt, the Lokschuppen was given a flat pitched roof.
1928 A three-storey warehouse for the town authorities was built between the end buildings.
1931 The town archives and the town library were moved into the Lokschuppen.
1932 Part of the round building was converted into a sports hall, the neighbourhood assistance and worker's welfare organisations, among others, were moved into the end buildings.
1952 The use for the building was reallocated again and the end buildings were partly used by the town's official departments.
1983 The former train station and the Lokschuppen were entered into the town of Rosenheim's list of monuments. The building which had been added between the end buildings and was used as a warehouse was demolished and the semi-circular forecourt was used as a car park.

As a reward for preserving the Lokschuppen, the decision was made to display the Bavarian part of the national exhibition "The Bavarii 488-788" in partnership with the Federal State of Salzburg planned for 1988 in Rosenheim.

year event
1986 A architectural competition for the conversion and renovation of the Lokschuppen took place. The design by Professor Joseph Karg from Munich won first place and he was commissioned with further planning work.
1988 The effective combination of a historic building with modern additions was awarded a prize by the Bund Deutscher Architekten.
1988 The Lokschuppen Exhibition Centre was opened with the exhibition "The Bavarii".
1989 The Veranstaltungs- & Kongress GmbH Rosenheim (VKR) (Rosenheim Event & Congress Co.) took over management of the Lokschuppen. Since then, national exhibitions and special exhibitions of high-quality and cultural value have been carried out on behalf of the town of Rosenheim.